Discrete voltage controlled noise oscillator w/ multiple outputs.
VCNO is a noise oscillator, capable of producing full spectrum white noise. But that’s where its similarity to other noise generators stops. VCNO can be used like a VCO – you can modulate the pitch over CV and use its multiple outputs simultaneously, each with a distinct sonic character. Its method of generating noise is similar to that used in early computer sound chips, except it has been implemented here using discrete logic, without the use of software or microcontrollers.
Discrete Noise Algorithm
- LFSR (Linear Feedback Shift Register) algorithm implemented using discrete analog parts and logic ICs - no software or microcontrollers
- PITCH generator capable of frequencies up to half a megahertz. This results in a spectrum of noise which reaches far beyond that of human-hearing
- NOISE is the main LFSR output. With the pitch knob turned fully clockwise this will output pure white noise. As you turn the pitch down, the noise evolves into crunchy noise, reminiscent of vintage video game sounds
- GATE is a DC-coupled output. This is perfect for supplying random triggers in your system
Three Unique Alternative Outputs
- Each of the three alternative outputs are completely different circuits – SCREECH, SIZZLE AND TEAR have their own unique sonic characteristics
- SCREECH features a dark, howling overtone to the main NOISE output
- SIZZLE features a related control, which takes the output from pure white noise when turned fully clockwise to a vinyl-like crackle when turned
- TEAR sounds like the noise generator is broken and tearing itself apart
- All outputs work simultaneously, and are simultaneously affected by the pitch knob or CV
- The frequency of VCNO can be modulated via CV – just patch any CV signal into this jack
- A bipolar attenuverter lets you find the right level and polarity for your CV signal
- A switch on the back lets you select either logarithmic or linear response at the CV input jack
- Applying a clock signal here bypasses the internal PITCH frequency generator. You can apply a clock from a trigger sequencer to create a pseudorandom drum trigger pattern synced to the rest of your drums
Be the first to
Leave a Review
WarrantyFactory warranty 12 months from date of purchase.